A blog about my culinary experiences in Paris and around the world.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Macaroon, Macaron, Maccherone...you know what it is

Today it was all about macaroons. Macaroons are derived from the Italian word "ammaccare", to crush and beat, in reference to the main ingredient, almond paste. It is also meringue-based: a mixture of egg whites, sugar and almond flour. 
It is flat-based with a egg-shell like crust giving a moist interior. The interior is usually a buttercream or even jam filling sandwiched between 2 cookies. 


All the colors of the rainbow...


How large is your appetite?



I bet you they're better than  Pierre Hermé and La Durée!

4 comments:

  1. "thats alright because i love the way you write"


    nice pics, nice post J J!

    =X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello.

    First of all thank you so much for your complete journey so far at the ESCF and in Paris.

    Can you give me some tips for the aplication? I plan to apply for the class of Sept 2011.. how far in advance do you recommend to send my application? My french is just the basics can i live in the first weeks in Ferrandi?
    And can you tell me how much you spend monthly?

    thank you one more time!
    i wish i was already there to be in your class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    I encourage you to apply as soon as possible. I remember applying quite early as was recommended by past students at Ferrandi and had no problem. The program only holds 24 spots (maximum) and I heard about some people not being able to get into the program and encouraged to apply for the next available spot.
    As for french, I know some people who came and only spoke a few words so that shouldn't be a problem; you'll be living in the city and having french classes almost every week so that should keep you up to date with sayings and stuff.

    In terms of finances, depends how much your rent is. I'd say roughly 800 - 1000 euros per month would be about the minimum-average. But again, depends how much rent is and if you're planning on going out and trying out restaurants, etc...

    Good luck on your application! Ferrandi was such a great choice for me, I hope you'll get to see that for yourself!
    Let me know if you have any other questions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. JBG! These are Khairun's favvvvvvvv - come home and make them for us!!! :)

    ReplyDelete