A blog about my culinary experiences in Paris and around the world.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Week 2 realizations

So week 2 at my internship has ended...I can't believe it's only been 2 weeks, it seems like it's been 2 months! But I must say the week has gone by very quickly..I guess that happens when you're extremely busy, having always something to cut, clean, measure, cook, plate and send to the pass


Usually in the garde-manger, there are 5 cooks, but we are only 3 - and this week exceptionally we were 2, so I was dreading the work load and also the plating because we're doing a 5-person job with only 2 in the kitchen but...I was mistaken, we did very well, got by smoothly especially during times of what seemed to be crisis when 3 tables of 6 to 8 people were announced and the plates were not even ready yet! That's when you become a producing machine, no time to think clearly or sort thoughts in your mind...it's all about GO GO GO - plate, clean, send - plate, clean, send :)


The first 3 days of the week are not that hard as it's just dinner service but Thursday and Friday are the longest ones as there is both lunch and dinner service and break is very minimal - maybe an hour at best!


Friday night is obviously what all the chefs anticipate but it is at the same time the hardest night since it's the last day of the week and they are all worn out + the fact that it's Friday night and most people will go out to dinner then!


But I'm still happy - it's a great young team they have in the kitchen, all focused and working together and as my head chef said on Thursday, it's what makes an exceptional restaurant - not only the produce but the team work and the relationship the chefs have with each other...without it, we wouldn't be producing and i quote - "l' excellence".


I'm also treated with respect and feel part of the team which I think is very important because if I didn't I don't know if I could last honestly. The sous-chef, and the third line as well as the chefs de partie don't call me by my name but instead call me cocotte or ginette - a kind of term of endearment a father would say to his daughter - which I think is cute...but now I know when they're mad, they'll probably call me JADEEEEEEEE. One other chef called me Lapin (rabbit) the other day, because I'm jumping around the kitchen all the time, getting materials for my station, or running an impromptu errand for my sous-chef.


So far so good, thank god for weekends is all I can say right now!


On a final note, I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you (to my readers/followers) for helping my blog reach the 10,000 mark in 5 months...I can't believe it and I am so so happy! Who knew! :)


So please continue reading, I try my very best to blog and update you guys, and like I said I'll try to take every opportunity I can to do so!

1 comment: